Tory Councillors start to jump ship, while Tory MP’s ignore mothers

Published On September 4, 2010 » 3091 Views» Politics

It seems that the invite to the Lib Dems to join the Labour Party was quite attractive to the Tories too.

The Deputy Leader on Sandwell council has resigned from the Conservative Party and joined the Labour Party because she felt ashamed of what the Conservative Party is doing.  In particular, the way that Michael Gove MP is doing.

It will be interesting to see how other party members view this move and the reasons behind it.

Maybe it’s not surprising, especially when you get other Tory MP’s coming out with ‘interesting’ views that beggar belief.  When an MP will not support something as basic as Breastfeeding Mothers, then you do have to wonder just what they will do.  Maybe because it is not an economic saving and that is all this Government is interested in.

Tags

19 Responses to Tory Councillors start to jump ship, while Tory MP’s ignore mothers

1. Eddie says:

A very disapointing and biased post

“He said: “I find the arguments compelling and I thought long and hard about my response.

“However, I will not be signing the breastfeeding manifesto, since some mothers feel pressurised into continuing with breastfeeding even when struggling and despite advice from breastfeeding counsellors.”

I don’t see that makes the tories mother haters.

2. bazkirby says:

He obviously did not do much research as there is lots of research into the benefit of breastfeeding and the Government has done little to support one of the most natural processes on earth. If he had done his research and though as long and hard as he claims, then he would be looking at the well publicised benefits of breastfeeding of both mother and child. There is also a theory that since the Formula based feeding has grown, that the basic links between mother and baby had diminished and could be one of the fundemental reasons that families are not as close as they used to be. However, though it sounds plausable, I have no conclusive research yet.

How can mothers be expected to make the right decision for both them and their baby, when they get little support as it is.

The actual numbers of mothers who can not breastfeed is a minority, and in providing better support for Breastfeeding, then the ones who are struggling will get better support.

This is a very important topic, and for an MP not to support it with out a GOOD reason, is ridiculous.

3. bazkirby says:

And talking of disappointing Eddie, you have a habit of sensationalising what I say. I said they were Ignoring Mothers, not Mother Haters. And before you trot out “more Labour Spin” just look up the page and confirm your facts.

4. Eddie says:

Well, ok, but that wan’t true either.

5. Eddie says:

I’ve just realised that is not clear. How was he ignoring mothers?

“I find the arguments compelling and I thought long and hard about my response.

Not every MP supports every campaign put to them.

• bazkirby says:

Your right, and that is how we find out what sort of MP they are.

What I can’t understand is that if you find the argument compelling, why you would not support it.

6. Joe K says:

(throws first stone at exaggerators ;))

(makes note not to use ‘the wrong kind brackets’ next time)

7. Eddie says:

8. bazkirby says:

Nice cut and paste, you have that “Control+C” and “Control+V” down to an art. I read what he said the first time. Doesn’t make it right though.

As I said, I think his reasoning ridiculous, he finds the argument compelling, yet he wont sign it. So what he is doing is ignoring all those mothers who would benefit from greater support at all stages. There is another option of course, he could have an interest in the Formula Milk production companies. They are well known for their antics against breastfeeding. But I hope its not something like that.

9. Eddie says:

It is like Alice in wonderland Barry.

Using that very odd interpretation of “ignoring” then you are just as guilty of ignoring the ones who feel intimidated.

1 A campaign group asked an mp to support them
    2 He answered them and gave his reasons for not supporting them

Please explain to me how that equates with “Tory MP ignores mothers”

10. bazkirby says:

I guess its all personal interpretation and knowledge of a particular subject.

The Campaign group is not about Breastfeeding being the be all and end all for baby nutrition. What it is saying is that the gross majority of women can breastfeed, some need help and knowledgeable intervention. Not all mothers can, or even want to, and better awareness will enable those who are really having difficulty to be supported and to come to terms with it. I know of some mothers who were really distraught that they could not breastfeed, but they have been helped to come to terms with it very well. So in that respect, no-one gets ignored, some mothers may be disappointed that they can not, but the majority will gain a lot of benefit.

So, yes, I believe he is ignoring the needs of the majority of mothers, and logically following it though, he is ignoring the needs of not only them but of their children.

Taking the simple argument as you state, he doesn’t support them for any good reason.he says it is a compelling argument, Note the key word here is Compelling (Dictionary definition: Not able to be refuted; inspiring conviction), yet he refutes it anyway. where is the logic in that.

11. Eddie says:

Yes, Alice in Wonderland. The most tortured use of English I have seen since Mandleson went quiet.

12. Sam says:

What a silly argument!

Those that want to will, and those that don’t … won’t. End of. No amount of support will make any difference in changing the mindset of those that can’t see the benefits to the baby and the Mums purse! The only way to make a difference is to make manufactured milk more expensive, but I can’t see that idea going down too well 😉

I b/fed and no-one got in my way. My choice and if it embarassed anyone …. tough!

• bazkirby says:

Hi Sam

Thank you for your contribution. What is your thoughts on those mothers who do not know of the benefits (and downsides) of breastfeeding because of the bias in education and the way it is addressed in the antenatal support? Do you not think that these mothers (and Fathers for that matter) would benefit from more support?

13. bazkirby says:

Thanks Eddie, when debate fails, good old insults work just as well, no really.

14. Eddie says:

I honestly don’t understand how you can say Tory MP’s ignore mothers when he obviously has not ignored them. He answered their question. You may disagree with him, but you just cant say he ignored them. Simples

15. bazkirby says:

Eddie – that is fine, we disagree, its allowed.

I’d prefer to keep the personal insults out of it, becuase then it just generates bad personal feeling, and that is unproductive, especially in this type of media.

16. Sam says:

There are a huge number of mothers who have grown up in a part of society that frowns on breastfeeding and is unable to see the true purpose of the breast – balme The Sun for that one! Apart from the odd one here and there, as I said, no amount of telling them otherwise is going to make a jot of difference. They don’t want to know. They are under the illusion that bottlefeeding is easier. It also means that baby can be left with others without them having to worry about rushing back and if dad is around, they can farm out night feed duties.

17. Pingback: Credit where Credit is due – Good thinking by Mr Lansley about Breastfeeding « The murmurings of Barry Kirby