I am a real believer in getting involved in community organisations and projects where I feel I could have a positive input. Below is my CV in terms of this type of work I am, and have been involved in.
Gloucestershire County Council – Grange and Kingsway Division (2013 – 2017)
As a County Councillor I was responsible for representing residents within the remit of the County Council, particularly for the division of Kingsway and Grange.
I was also deputy leader for the Labour Group (2015-2017) and led on developing internal strategy and direction, and the led the engagement and formulation of the 2017 Manifesto.
During my time, we had a shadow cabinet/spokesperson system and I held the following:
- Labour Shadow Cabinet Member for Fire, Planning and Infrastructure (2013-2016)
- Labour Shadow Cabinet Member for Highways and Flood (2016-2017)
I was a member of the following committees
- Audit and Governance Scrutiny Committee
- Appeals Board and Committee
- Police and Crime Panel (Deputy Chair)
- Economic Growth Scrutiny Panel (Deputy Chair)
- School Transport Appeals
I also participated in the following task groups and studies
- Resident Consultation and engagement Task Group (Chair)
- Pub Hubs Task Group (Chair)
Within the Labour Group itself, I held a number of positions including:
- Deputy Leader
- Press Officer
Severn FM (2011 – 2013)
Director of Marketing
Severn FM was an exciting project to build a community radio station for the location of South Gloucester. It brought together a number of smaller communities and enabled people to highlight their work in the locality. It also enabled people to get skills in media and production. This was focused on the youth sector, but not exclusively and was there for anyone who wanted to contribute and learn/refine new skills.
Severn FM is still a going concern as a private venture, being ran by Andy Clarke at Ringtone.net
Quedgeley Parish Council (2010 – 2013)
As a Councillor I sat on Full Council on a monthly basis. I was responsible for developing the Parish vision and Parish Plan. Alongside this, I was also keen to help at the events the Parish Council puts on, including the Fun Day, the Fireworks and Easter Egg Hunt, to name a few.
- Chair of Planning Committee
- Finance and General Purposes Committee
- Waterwells Sports Centre Committee
- Member of City Council Standards Committee (2010 – 2012)
- Internal Audit
I was one of the 2 Quedgeley Parish Council representatives on the Gloucester City Council Standards Committee. Before its dissolution under the Localism Act, this committee was dedicated to the standards expected of Councillors within the Gloucester City area and was also responsible for investigation and sanctions of those who may “tread the fine line”.
I was also the sole Councillor responsible for internal audit of the council.
Labour Party (2010 – Present)
- Parliamentary Candidate for Gloucester – 2017
- Police and Crime Commissioner Candidate for Gloucestershire – 2016
- Candidate for Grange and Kingsway (Gloucestershire County Council) 2013
- Candidate for Quedgeley Fieldcourt (Gloucester City Council) 2009 and 2010
- Regional Board Member (South West)
- City Campaign Manager (Gloucester)
- Vice Chair of Gloucester CLP
- Vice Chair (Membership) of Gloucester CLP
- IT Officer
Kingsway Residents Association (2008 – 2012)
Gloucestershire Justice of the Peace (2006 – 2011)
Malvern Angels / Malvern RFC (2001 to 2005)
- Head Coach
Community Service Volunteers – Swindon (1998)
- Teacher in Highworth School